[cc-community] Why it is not a good idea to discourage CC-NC or CC-ND

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue Dec 20 20:03:35 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Heather Morrison <hgmorris at sfu.ca> wrote:
> On the other hand, if an author or publisher wishing (or needing) to earn money from a book is
> discouraged from using CC-NC, I suspect that many would choose All Rights Reserved rather
> than CC-BY or CC-SA.

How is CC-NC any better than ARR?  If the publisher wants to
distribute pdf copies free of charge, they're still going to do so,
whether it's under CC-NC or under ARR.

It seems to me no one has answered this.  What's the advantage of
CC-NC, compared to ARR but distributed for no cost?

> If CC-ND is discouraged, again I would suspect that many would choose All Rights Reserved
> instead.

If CC-ND is discouraged, people will just switch to a DIY version of
CC-ND ("you may copy and redistribute this work so long as you do not
modify it").