[cc-community] CC-BY-SA 4.0 (and other CC-*** 4.0 licences) vs. computer game content

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Dec 13 11:32:49 EST 2011

I'm sending this to cc-community rather than approving for cc-licenses
though it does directly address 4.0 -- it could use some free flowing
debate before concretizing.

In particular, I think it is missing that GPLv3 addresses "User
Products" -- see https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#Tivoization
-- rendering the specific 4.0 suggestion (AGPL only rather than GPL
compatibility) moot.

However, desire for some non-software creators to license their works
under terms disallowing "tivoization" could be added as a rationale to
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/GPL_compatibility_use_cases ...
discuss.

Mike