[cc-community] Mixing licences in data feeds

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Dec 13 11:01:40 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 3:10 AM, Arthur Lutz <arthur.lutz at logilab.fr> wrote:
> I was wondering if it was possible to mix licenses in a data feed.
>
> For example, let's take an RSS feed in which the title/description data
> is under creative commons, but the image
> (http://validator.w3.org/feed/docs/rss2.html#ltimagegtSubelementOfLtchannelgt)
> is not.
>
> Other example : in an ICAL/VCAL feed, some basic data
> (summary/description) is under creative commons but the ATTACH elements
> have a different license.
>
> I think some of the answer is in
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_does_it_mean_that_Creative_Commons_licenses_are_.22machine-readable.22.3F
> but I am wondering how this is implementable for formats that don't rely
> on XML for example.

It is possible to mix works under various CC licenses (or none) in
something like a feed which is just a container for the individual
works, creating no compatibility questions.

As for specifying which works are under which terms in a
machine-readable fashion, only the simplest of cases has been
specified for conveying within feed formats themselves, see
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Syndication

As for non-XML-or-HTML formats, I don't know of mechanisms to specify
fine grained licensing of parts of a file, or for that matter, a
non-digital item. Generally the important thing is to include license
notices that humans will see.

Not sure if any of this addresses your question.

Mike

p.s. Off topic, this, from your signature, looks pretty interesting.