[cc-community] Extending CC into physical space

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Feb 24 15:19:01 EST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:23:18 +0100
"Dr. Peter Troxler (Waag Society)" <peter at waag.org> wrote:

> 2 thoughts on this
> On 24 feb 2009, at 17:09, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>
> >> The CC attribution, sharealike license extends to the artwork but
> >> doesn't
> >> cover the results.
>
> why? are these results not some kind of derivs from the artwork/
> blueprint? you know, IANAL, ...

Nor me - but I like certainties not ambiguities as they are normally
cheaper in the long run 8)

> gently) to share?  it might be easier to create an incentive to share--
> such as praise, exchange, help with technical/manufacturing problems,
> even humanistic (we're planning to develop a series of open designs
> for artificial limbs to be used in developing countries), etc.

Its a market with no experience of sharing. I have a feeling even a
CCplus licence is going to be a bit of a culture shock to some of them.
One reason for doing this is of course to give them that precise culture
shock and see what can be made to happen. Plus model artwork is a very
creative thing so there are a lot of other book and music alike 'I made
it, I control it, it's my expression' baggage.

My experience in software is that for the most part BSD type licences
don't work. That's really a different discussion however - the CC
licences work perfectly well as is for the "please be nice" case and each
to their own and what works for them.

Alan