[cc-community] by-sa and exlusive edition

Dr. Peter Troxler (Waag Society) peter at waag.org
Tue Sep 30 17:52:38 EDT 2008

Terry & Drew, thanks for your answers (and the example of cheapbytes)

If I take the reasoning a little further -- the market part of it:

the by-sa license essentially allows me to grab (err: buy) the (maybe
modified) exclusive edition and distribute it under my pricing regime

if I'd simply use a plain by license and they would use traditional
(c) (since they could on their contribution if it is copyrightable at
all) I would not be allowed do that (i.e. use their portion)

however, my self-distribution of their edition also depends on my
marginal costs (as you rightly point out) but also on my production
and distribution ability, which might or might not match theirs

if we assume that I cannot match, what is the benefit of by-sa over
plain by -- other than "keeping them honest"?

/ Peter Troxler
/ Senior Project Manager
/ Waag Society :: Nieuwmarkt 4 :: 1012 CR Amsterdam :: The
Netherlands :: +31 20 557 9898