[cc-community] First CC community edited fiction book. Cheers, jeers, rude awakenings?

M.A.Newhall ttb at thickerthanbloodthebook.com
Thu May 15 09:31:09 EDT 2008

Hello

   No way would I try to claim first CC novel, that would just be lame.
There seem to be many out there scattered about.  The novel is under
the most restrictive CC license.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/

    That's what's strange.  You think people would only be willing to help
under the most open licenses, but this book has been on the net under this
license for the duration the past couple of years.  I guess I had the
right combination of content, and credentials with a large body of open
source enthusiasts.

    It makes me wonder if the normal open source 50% complete ratio for
software is way too low for entertainment novels.  I just stumbled across
it because I released a completed (in need of editing work) book.

    I've had 8 people send me an entire book worth of edits and fixes.  And
I've gotten fixes from another dozen or so people.   I was really just
accepting the changes to use in a manuscript to send to publishers.  I
thought that it has gone well enough to release it as is.  I went to find
the other authors of community edited CC fiction novels to interview
them for the press release and I think I am the only one.  Naturally I've
found a few non-fiction community edited books, but that's a different
situation.  Non-fiction is not just entertainment but serves a few
  functions as well.

    The book is up on the CC book wiki. but here is the link.

http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com

Matt

Matthew Newhall, M.A.Newhall at thickerthanbloodthebook.com
A.S. in Computer Science, SUNY Farmingdale
President of LILUG;  president at lilug.org, http://www.lilug.org
Author; "Thicker Than Blood" http://www.thickerthanbloodthebook.com
Husband of Giselle, father of Sebastian. http://www.warcloud.net/~odinson/us/

"A government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big
enough to take from us everything we have."
 	-- President Gerald Ford