[cc-community] CC-like video release form

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Jan 17 07:43:40 EST 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 01:20:47 Fred Benenson wrote:
> > It's just like free software, really.
>
> No, I don't think it is -- where software is largely fungible and defined
> by utility, people's identities and images are not, or at least they aren't
> used to thinking of them as such.
>
> Whether or not we should reform that intuition is another question, though
> something I feel pretty strongly against.

Hi, I'm Xyz and I approved this usage.

<gets on his rambling horse>

I do agree with you that these are serious and difficult issues. Do I want to
put an image of my son on the net with a BY-Sa license and such a free for
all release? I am not so sure of that.

Perhaps it is just going to take some real time for the public to get used to
how things work in a world of pre approved licenses on works. Perhaps down
the road, people willing to sign releases for works with such licenses will
be seen as brave and bold. As people who are boldly willing to chance their
reputations in order to do a good thing. Then at some point after that, it
will not be so risky anymore as people will have a more nuanced outlook on
image usage.

Perhaps the politicians have a little something to teach us in this? Perhaps
creators can seek approval statements like those above from the people in the
works. Then it can be clear if the usage is approved or not. Not just legally
allowed.

As to your comment on these sorts of problems being difficult in a copyleft
domain, they exist for BY and BY-NC as well. It is not so much the copyleft
aspect that causes the problem here, it is more the pre approved license
aspect if that license allows derivatives or re-mixes. ND variants would be
exempt I guess, but not the rest of the CC licenses. Right?

On thought I have had that may help is for there to be a distinction in the
licenses between commercial usage and endorsement usage. I might be quite
happy for you to sell framed pictures of me and not compensate me, I might
want you to pay me for using my image as if I endorsed your product.

<gets off his rambling horse>