[cc-community] CC-like video release form

Matthew J. Agnello matt.agnello at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:04:20 EST 2008

> I admire your les-affaires approach to your own image, but I really
> wonder how willing people are going to be to sign off on their
> publicity rights in perpetuity to people they've never met.

In my experience, most people don't seem to mind (and this might be
out of ignorance), and some even prefer their image be available under
CC. Now, this is a very biased group of people, because I'm
interviewing people who support those kinds of measures. However, in
the few times I have gotten releases with the intention of publishing
CC for other projects where they don't know about or support it
outright, my subjects seem to be okay with it.

I really think this problem needs to be looked at by a lawyer familiar
with publicity rights. I can detect far too many nuances for any
solution to be made here. For instance, if a person submits themselves
to an interview and signs a release form, and that interview is
publicized, do they become a "public figure" and therefore give up
their publicity rights (the same way celebrities can be written about
endlessly in magazines without permission)? Or are these rights
protected until you reach a certain "level" of famousness?

Here are some more links to CC's stance on the issue:
- On the virgin lawsuit: http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/7680
- CC FAQ on publicity rights: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#When_are_publicity_rights_relevant.3F
- Podcasting legal guide on publicity rights: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Podcasting_Legal_Guide#Publicity_Rights_Issues

// Matt