[cc-community] flash & commons license

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Sun May 21 18:32:29 EDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 22:41 +0200, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
> I was browsing the web to see some net art performances and video
> websites (google video, yourtubes...) and most of them use flash
> today. Advantage of flash is that it is on most of desktop (lix x86,
> windows & mac) so that's why I think it is choosed.

Google video allows download in other formats, at least some of which
are playable on Linux with vlc or mplayer.

But I don't think Flash was chosen due to players existing for all the
major platforms (the Linux player is not up to date anyway).  Rather I
suspect it was chosen by many of these services due to being deployed on
something like 98% of web browsers, which no other format can match, and
because it is very lightweight.

I'm no fan of Flash but I have to admit it does video really well.

I'm no fan of sites that make it hard to download media either, but
there are workarounds, see
http://1024k.de/bookmarklets/video-bookmarklets.html

> But could we have a commons license with a flash product (movie,
> multimedia experience..). I mean we can't reuse a flash object without
> the source. Is there any possibility to do it ? How to replace flash?

There's no requirement to publish the source, and source is not
particularly well defined for non-software stuff.  In any case if the
licensor wants to they can publish their .fla files in the case of a
Flash project and high quality versions of whatever media were used in
creating a video (e.g., wav files for audio, etc).

--
  http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer