[cc-community] Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Fri Apr 1 16:12:45 EST 2005

Mike Linksvayer said:
> Greg London wrote:
>> And I'm fine that it's outside the scope of
>> this list, but that too is separate from
>> the validity of the main argument:
>> contributers to libre projects ought to have
>> a way to waive their moral rights, for the
>> good of the community and project as a whole.
>
> I probably agree.
>
> However, waiving moral rights is probably out of scope.  AFAICT not
> being able to waive moral rights is central to the moral rights idea.
> Obtaining the right to waive moral rights would involve court and
> legislative battles.  FLOSS and CC work within existing legal regimes,
> the latter explicitly.
>
> If moral rights really bug you perhaps you should start or work with an
> existing organization that does attempt to challenge and change laws.  I
> note that immoralrights.org is available. :-)

Moral rights by themselves don't bug me.
It bugs me that they come with a religious
devotion that makes it impossible to for
its proponents to question even the possibility
of a world without moral rights as being
reputable, or for them to acknowledge that
the inherent design of moral rights
could even possibly be abused by an author.