[cc-community] Creative Commons Public License (CCPL)

Evan Prodromou evan at wikitravel.org
Thu Jul 22 13:45:43 EDT 2004

Mike Linksvayer wrote:

>> I'm curious: what does the name "Creative Commons Public License" or
>> "CCPL" mean?

> I don't know whether it means anything legally, but I think it signals
> that using the licenses means offering to license your work to the
> public, not a specific party.  I've never heard anyone actually speak
> the words "Creative Commons Public License" or "CCPL" FWIW.

Me neither. But they're both in the license text, which is why I was asking.

'THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE
COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE").'

'Except for the limited purpose of indicating to the public that the Work is
licensed under the CCPL, [...]'

~ESP