[cc-community] URL attribution requirements

Rob Myers robmyers at mac.com
Thu Jul 8 17:51:43 EDT 2004

On 8 Jul 2004, at 21:32, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

> I haven't been following this all too closely, but maybe
> <http://creativecommons.org/technology/web> will help.

This page is excellent for indicating that the work is licensed. It
does not, however, cover distributing the "associated URL" from the
CC-BY-2.0 license. The one covered by:

"... conveying ... the Uniform Resource Identifier, if any, that
Licensor specifies to be associated with the Work,..."

Although I'm now totally confused by this bit:

"...unless such URI does not refer to the copyright notice or licensing
information for the Work"

Doesn't the work have to be marked as licensed and link to the license
anyway?
How does 4.a (you must show the license or the license URL with the
work) sit with 4.b (you don't have to show a URI the author gives if it
doesn't refer to the licensing conditions)? What's the relationship
between linking to or displaying the license (4.a) and conveying the
Licensor's URI for the work (4.b) if the URI is optional when it
doesn't refer to the copyright or license?
Is Greg right about just having a licensing page linked from his work?
(if so I owe him a big apology for muddying the waters).

Please can CC explain this for the non-lawyers on the list.

> If not, please suggest improvements.

Please can it show how to include the associated URL and explain to
users that this must be distributed with the work. Unless I'm getting
this wrong, in which case can it explain how to handle whatever 4b
means.

Thanks.

- Rob.