[bittorrent] NauBTilus - secure and survivable BitTorrent-based system with data updates

Adrian Ulrich torrent at blinkenlights.ch
Sat Sep 5 08:13:01 EDT 2009

Hi,

> For this reason, anyone who would like to read it,  please send me request (through my e-mail)
> and I will send you the article.

I'd be interested to receive a copy.

> As for DHT, the problem is a little more complicated. NauBTilus was
> designed mainly to handle DDoS attacks. And DHT doesn't solve this
> problem. It's still possible to attack vulnerable peers that are
> currently responsible for handling specific torrents.

Kademlia is pretty robust against (D)DOS-Attacks. DOS'ing a DHT-Node makes
no sense because the network will recover itself such as it does when someone
terminates the client. Even DDOSing a large Kademlia-Segment won't do much harm.

It would make much more sense to DDOS some Seeders.

> Even worse, combining Sybil attack on DHT with other malicious techniques can turn
> swarm into specific kind of botnet that could be use to perform DDoS

This is a known problem and not DHT/Sybil specific:

So an evil node could just take a sha1 that is near to some popular info_hash and
hand out wrong IPs (= IPs that point to a target) (-> Sybil)

But hey: You do not even need to do a sybil attack: Just place a node *somewhere* in the network
and always send a get_peers response. Some clients out there are willing to accept responses
to unasked questions :-)

..Or you could join the network to spread the target-IPs via PEX

Regards,
 Adrian