[bittorrent] Choking based on network closeness?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Jul 12 19:17:35 EDT 2005

--On Tuesday, July 12, 2005 12:41 PM -0400 Bill McGonigle
<bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:

> If you value other things like
> efficiency, the cost of your Internet access bill, how major ISP's feel
> about the Bittorrent protocol, etc., then you may decide it's better to
> give up that 5k/s.

I've heard that some ISP's traffic-shape P2P streams. If they throttle BT
at their peering points then we should see better response naturally from
"close" peers inside the ISP's cloud. OTOH, if they stupidly throttle close
to the clients, then external peers will look no worse than local ones and
the problem will remain.