[BitTorrent] been gone - what's up with this tracker?

Mirar mirar-yg at mirar.org
Sat Jun 5 15:12:10 EDT 2004

> This isn't the .torrent, this is the tracker HTTP response. And when
> the client doesn't support compact or no_peer_id, it saves about 50%
> of the HTTP body. Usually, the tracker won't use gzip content
> encoding if you don't send a gzip accept encoding header, but this
> tracker ignores that header and always uses gzip.

Actually, when I got gzip decompression going, I thought, why not add
"Accept-encoding: gzip" to the headers I send, so that anyone can zip
if they want?

And guess what, that particular tracker then *ceased* to send me
gzipped data. I guess someone inverted a test somewhere... :-)

Anyway, I couldn't find a spec for the compact answer either - my
google-fu totally failed me - but it wasn't that tricky to figure out
once I got the hint on gzip. :-)

/Mirar