[BL] Can't get network working with BasicLinux on Qemu

Devid Farinelli devid.farinelli at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 15:20:05 EST 2016

Thanks a lot for the responses!

Following the suggestions, I've made eth0 appear using this command:

qemu-system-i386 -hda BL3-5qem.img -m 512 -net nic,model=ne2k_pci

Now it shows "USE OF PCI-NE2000 DRIVER RECOMMENDED" while booting and I
have to ctrl+c because it loops on "debug, sending discovery".

Since I still don't have connection, I've tried:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0

ifconfig eth0 up

without success, and

insmod ne2k-pci

that gives me an error "No useable cards found, driver NOT installed"
"insmod: init_module: ne2k-pci: Device or resource busy"

Other attempts I made:
- I've found zimage.sb here <http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.16/>, that
seems to include the module for a card that I can emulate with
Qemu(rtl8139). When I pass it to Qemu with "-kernel zimage.sb -boot c" it
stops on "Booting from ROM", but googling doesn't help
- I've tried editing /etc/rc to call "insmod ne2k-pci" during boot, but vi
gives me "segmentation fault" as soon as I press a key. I just found that
his only happens on qemu on MacOS so I'm going to try again on Ubuntu.

To clarify my goal, I have a raspberry pi with a host-os where I would like
to start a qemu virtual machine with a guest-os. Since it is for a public
presentation I would like the host os to boot very fast.

Any kind of suggestion is really appreciated.

> puppy linux boots in about 30 seconds on my 2001 laptop but not with qemu.
> A web search found alpha and beta puppy linux for raspberry pi and that
> you can emulate raspberry pi in linux.

Nice to know, I'll consider Puppy Linux as host os. Thanks!

The only problem is that the floppy version comes without DISK2.IMG
> pre-created. If you create the floppy2 disk image, then you can append
> "-fdb DISK2.IMG" to command line parameters.

That's nice I didn't know the floppy parameter. At the moment I'm using the
qemu .img found on basiclinux <http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/>
's website.

On a previous topic where the gentleman could not get a network connection
> with QEMU I wonder what version of QEMU he is using?

I'm using Qemu v2.7.0 on MacOS, v2.5.0 on Ubuntu and Raspbian, v2.6.2 on
piCore (TinyCore for the raspberry)

Best Regards
Devid