[BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue 8

baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
Mon Mar 21 13:28:27 EDT 2011


Thanks Sindi
I assumed that was the case but I keep thinking that the main reason
most people use Basic Linux is because they wish to run machines with
few resources. Apparently that is not always the case.

On 3/21/11, baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org
<baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Send BasLinux mailing list submissions to
> 	baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/baslinux
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	baslinux-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of BasLinux digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue 7 (baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org)
>    2. flash video on a 486, was Re:  BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue
>       7 (baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 02:54:40 +0800
> From: baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
> To: baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue 7
> Message-ID: <mailman.8810.1300647285.1479.baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Is it possible to play flash video with limited resources such as a
> 486 with 75mhz processor and 40 megs ram?
>
> On 3/21/11, baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org
> <baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
>> Send BasLinux mailing list submissions to
>> 	baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
>>
>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>> 	http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/baslinux
>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>> 	baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>>
>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>> 	baslinux-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
>>
>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>> than "Re: Contents of BasLinux digest..."
>>
>>
>> Today's Topics:
>>
>>    1. Flash and Youtube (baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org)
>>
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:49:44 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
>> To: baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
>> Subject: [BL] Flash and Youtube
>> Message-ID: <mailman.8774.1300632587.1479.baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org>
>> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>>
>> I am told that Flash 7 was usable for Youtube until last November, when
>> they changed the gui around the video, and it will take more hacking to
>> make it work again.
>>
>> It should work with the script provided in my previous posting at most
>> other sites.  The script disables something in javascript at those sites
>> which tries to insist on the latest version of Flash.
>>
>> There is a python-based script (was youtube-dl, now renamed to something
>> else) for downloading flv files, which mencoder can convert to avi,
>> playable by mplayer.  I did not try it.  You can also download youtube
>> videos as higher quality mp4 at http://keepvid.com and extract the mp3
>> from the mp4.  Someone provided a wget script for downloading a flv
>> directly.
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> -----------------------
>> BasicLinux mailing list
>> -----------------------
>> http://www.basiclinux.com.ru
>> http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/
>> -------------------------------
>> To exit, send subject=unsubscribe to
>> baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>>
>>
>> End of BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue 7
>> ***************************************
>>
>
>
> --
> Forrest Charnock
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 19:18:10 +0000 (UTC)
> From: baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
> To: baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [BL] flash video on a 486, was Re:  BasLinux Digest, Vol 96,
> 	Issue 7
> Message-ID: <mailman.8811.1300648694.1479.baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org>
> Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
>
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to play flash video with limited resources such as a
>> 486 with 75mhz processor and 40 megs ram?
>
> I doubt it.
>
> Youtube streaming is barely usable at 500MHz.  I presume you mean offline
> videos.  I can play DVDs at 500MHz with mplayer and -hardframedrop, and
> someone claimed to watch DVDs at 366MHz.  266MHz is hopeless.  Look for
> information about mplayer system requirements online.
>
> If you have a computer that can play flash video, see how much extra
> memory it is using (offline?) to play the video.  In linux in an rxvt or
> another terminal, and type 'free' for total memory use (with and without
> flash player) or 'top' to see which programs are using what % of cpu time
> and memory.
>
>
> Sindi
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> -----------------------
> BasicLinux mailing list
> -----------------------
> http://www.basiclinux.com.ru
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/
> -------------------------------
> To exit, send subject=unsubscribe to
> baslinux-request at lists.ibiblio.org
>
>
> End of BasLinux Digest, Vol 96, Issue 8
> ***************************************
>


-- 
Forrest Charnock



More information about the BasLinux mailing list