[BL] 40 columns and PDA as terminal

baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
Sat Feb 2 23:24:45 EST 2008

Translation (from the desktop, where I can see what I typed because I do
not need to scroll on each line, and the characters are more than 3 pixels
wide and the keyboard keys are much bigger).

The ptelnet 0.61 program works much better for telnetting than for dumb
terminal mode.  The keyboard puts characters on the screen and sends them.
In terminal mode I see the login screen but cannot type to it.  I may try
turning on echo.

We made a nullmodem-to-regular-modem-cable adaptor by crossing over wires
in something else and rewiring to make both ends 9-pin male.  Pinout is
below.  Three crossed pairs, one straight 5, 1 and 9 cut off.
Symmetrical.  There are several types of nullmodem cable. The Palm
official nullmodem adaptor is $5 plus postage.  You don't need it to
connect directly to a serial port for terminal or telnet access.