[BL] BL3 with opera and lynx as 'user' summary; was Re: which BL? advice needed

baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org
Sun Dec 9 23:12:45 EST 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, baslinux at lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> Message from Steven
> ===================
> Sindi wrote:
>>
>> Steven was not interested in modifying BL
>> permissions to the above (for instance
>> /dev/null and /tmp) as defaults.

Would it hurt to 'publish' BL3 with permissions such that user can use
/dev/null and /tmp to start with?  Is there any potential harm from this?
Are there important files in /tmp that user could mess up, if each
computer is accessed by only one user at a time?  I know lynx puts things
there in a subdirectory.

> Permissions are complicated and can be very
> frustrating for inexperienced users (that's
> why BasicLinux avoids them).  If you know
> enough to manage permissions successfully,
> then you know enough to change the defaults
> yourself.
>
>> Karolis figured out that ttys? resets its permissions
>> if you do not ppp-off before rebooting and needs to be
>> changed in rc each time.
>
> Actually, you put it in /etc/rc just once.
> Then it works automatically each time.

That is what I meant but I phrased it badly.
rc changes it back to correct permissions each time you boot.