[b-hebrew] Zipporah the Cushite

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Mar 17 00:17:56 EDT 2013

I suspect that כוש KU$ is a general name for a mountainous region,
being a variant
of גוש GU$, 'clod, lump, chunk' of Job 7:5. I also surmise that the
lands of גושן GO$EN
(Gen. 45:10 and Jos. 10:41) are lands of גושים GU$IYM.

KU$ is also a variant of כשה KASAH, 'thick, large, full, plump', as
in Deut. 32:15, and
of קשה QA$AH, 'large, difficult', as Deut 1:17, and also of קשח
QA$AX, 'hard', of Is. 63:17
(an interesting example, by the way, to H <–> X). Also of the
latter גס GAS, 'crude, clumpy'.

So there is some etymological justification to the (apologetic?)
consideration of the woman
of KU$ as a buxom (namely, biegsam or box-some) woman.

It is true that Moses was most humble, but after Ziporah (it is
written in the HB with only one P)
left he still arguably needed someone to remind him to have breakfast
before going out to face
his difficult charge.

Isaac Fried, Boston University