[b-hebrew] Zipporah the Cushite

Joseph Roberts josephroberts3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 17:48:51 EDT 2013

I was reading the English translation of the Samaritan Pentateuch by Benny
Tsadaka. According to him in Numbers 12:1Moses had only one wife, Zipporah
and the word translated as Cushite in the MT is understood to be a
different word pronounced "Kaashet" which means Beautiful. I did notice
that Targum Onkelos in the rendering of this verse says the following:

And Miriam and Aharon spake against Mosheh, because of the *fair woman* whom
he had taken, because the *fair woman* who .had been sent away he had
taken. And they said, Hath the Lord spoken only with Mosheh? Hath He not
spoken with us also? And it was heard before the Lord. [But the man Mosheh
was very humble, more than all the men who were upon the face of the earth.]

Just curious of everyone's thoughts on the issue,

--
Joseph Roberts ( UCC 1-308)