[b-hebrew] ואילילה Micah 1:8

Dave Washburn davidlwashburn at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 00:09:41 EDT 2013

Hebrew wasn't a tensed language. Really, we don't know what the different
conjugations denoted. Some say tense, some say aspect, I say syntactic
connections (or lack thereof) and others have other ideas. But you're
right, it didn't have a future tense. The best we can gather, the prefix
conjugation (commonly called the "imperfect") served as a sort of irrealis
mode, and future falls into that category since it hasn't happened yet as
of the time of speaking (or writing). Context tells us the tense, whether
present: "I am wailing" or future "I will wail." The cohortative, being a
volitional form (basically a first-person imperative), pretty well has to
be future, because it's expressing the intent to do something. So you are
correct that there's no future tense. But context tells us that in this
particular clause, the cohortative is functioning as a future by the very
nature of the statement.

Does that make sense?