[b-hebrew] What exactly is the semantic overlap between רוח as (1) 'breathe, blow' and (2) 'to be wide, spacious'?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Jul 18 06:22:34 EDT 2013

If you look for "evolution", then it is arguably from the concrete to
the abstract.
One may argue that רך RAK, 'soft, pliable, spreadable, distortable',
a thing one
feels with his fingers, "predates" the רוח אלוהים RUAX
ELOHIYM, 'the Spirit of God', of Gen. 1:2.

We know that 'soft' (related to 'shift'?) predates 'software'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University