[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring' (K Randolph)

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 01:40:22 EDT 2013

Jerry:

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Karl: "OK, *you* define what *you* understand when you hear the phrase
> "one unique meaning".  I want to know, did I use terminology that
> confuses rather than elucidates? Why is it that my definition of the terms,
> which I repeated several times, seem not to resonate in you?"
>

> Jerry: I understand it to mean what you said it to mean:
>

> Karl (5/4/2013): "When one looks at the actions referred to by a lexeme,
> other than homonyms where two or more words from different roots have
> converged in form, words generally have one meaning at any one point in
> time."

That’s a begging the question logical fallacy. I asked you what you think
such terminology means, not what you think I mean by it.

To me it appears that you have a different meaning for that terminology
that what I have, as a result, I want to find out what you think the
terminology means to clear up communication.

You haven’t answered my question yet.

> Jerry: My reaction to that is the same one that Ruth had:
>

> Ruth (5/4/2013): "I've seen it claimed here repeatedly that a single
> lexeme necessarily has a
>
> single meaning in all the contexts it is used in.  I think that is
> nonsense."
>

> Jerry: Karl, if you think you've been misunderstood, then I think the
> burden is on you to do a better job of explaining yourself.

And I think you need to answer questions directly if there’s any hint of
misunderstanding.

> Blessings,
>

> Jerry
>
> Jerry Shepherd