[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Jonathan Mohler jonathan.mohler at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 15:06:50 EDT 2013

Chris,

You're thinking too literally (very modern and western). You're laying the emphasis on the idea of causing, but what is important is the resulting semantic value of the verb not the fact that a hiphil was used to arrive at the meaning. Let me give an example from Swahili. Swahili uses -sha or - za as a causative suffix. Take the verb KULA, to eat.  As a causative it takes the form ku-LISHA, and it's meaning now is to feed, I.e to cause to eat. So I can certainly tell my so "feed the dog". It doesn't I force the dog to eat. Another example is LALA, lie down or sleep. The causative form LAZA means to admit someone to the hospital, the idea being that one lies down in bed when in hospital. I can even tell someone to take their loved one and have them admitted to hospital. The verb would take the form of a double causative. Imagine a hiphil of a hiphil. Languages like these can produce an unlimited amount of semantic material from a very small set of roots.

Jonathan Mohler

Sent from my iPhone