[b-hebrew] Ex 6:6 hiphil imperative 'bring'

Chris Watts dekruidnootjes at eircom.net
Wed Jul 10 10:21:55 EDT 2013

"""""There is a pattern of usage for the conjugations, but that
pattern doesn’t
fit tense, aspect nor mood.""""""

I have read quite some stuff on imperfect and perfect and seen how
the changes in classification of the verbal system has taken place.
Perhaps a simple concise illumination about how you see things would
be interesting for me, since I agree certainly that one has to
abandon one's own cultural and sanitised compartimentalisation of the
tenses and try to grab the hebraic perspectief, not easy, but the
step in that direction seems a good one.

I had to so often do this when I was living and learning in Holland
their language, my frustrations with the Dutch, in retrospect, were
invariably as a result of trying to translate as I read or listened.
As I became 'one' with the language it all made sense.  And I believe
that the hebrew language for a great part only makes sense if it is
kept within its unique context, far removed from our mortgage based
society where the street lights are our stars and the shops are our
harvests.

So please tell me how you see the aspekt/mood/tense/persepective in
the verbal organisation.

Karl W. Randolph.
Chris Watts
Ireland