[b-hebrew] Relationship of כרך, 'wrap around, surround', to כרר?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Jul 9 17:11:00 EDT 2013

1. We need to separate the root from the verb (act) and the noun (name.)
The act (act!) KARAK כרך means 'to wrap', yet the root (root!) KRK
has
nothing to do with 'go around'.
We have already mentioned the example of ארגז ARGAZ, 'box, chest',
of 1Sam 6:8 and ROGEZ רוגז (related to ROGE$), 'anger, excitement'.
They are both from the root RGZ, which has nothing to do, not with
anger and not with boxiness.

2. I am sorry, but I have to ignore your references to "Akkadian" and
"Ugaritic" as I am unable to verify them. Looking up an English
"Akkadian dictionary" does not count.

3. So, what is the etymology of GALGAL (and the place name GILGAL)?
Something that turns around?

4. And what is the etymology of the כרכרה KIRKARAH of Is. 66:20?

5. I see no evidence that the act KARKAR is 'to whirl', but I know
that some
think so. Some 100 years ago when a Hebrew equivalent was sought for
"dreidl",
the great Hebrew poet X. N. Bialik suggested KIRKAR, but it failed to
take hold,
and what is used now is סביבון SBIYBON, from the act SABAB, 'go
around',
as the classical Hebrew nursery rhyme says

סביבון סוב סוב סוב חנוכה הוא חג טוב

Isaac Fried, Boston University