[b-hebrew] hatef vowels

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Feb 17 14:17:30 EST 2013

1. Ok, I will shout it louder (for extra effect I would go also up
the roof of my house, but it is buried now in snow, and I can not wait)

THE THINKING THAT A DIFFERENT GRAPHICAL NIQUD MARKING IS DESIGNED TO
REPRESENT A DIFFERENT VOCALIZATION IS GROUNDLESS;

in plain English it is baloney, concocted ex-nihilo by some latter-
day Hebrew "grammarians".

2. This science of the Hebrew "grammar" that "teaches" of "long" and
"short" vowels is obsolete. I have just read an article in an Israeli
newspaper by someone calling for the outright abolition from the
school of this frightfully kooky and annoying subject called לשון
LA$ON.

4. Consider now this meshugas of the Hebrew "Academy" imposed by
decree on the announcers of the Israeli TV. So goes their talmudic
pilpul (aka Hebrew grammar): An initial schwa is a schwa "mobile". A
BKP letter following such a schwa must remain dageshless, and is
therefore read (why is not revealed to us) softly. Since no living
Hebrew announcer is capable of distinguishing between a soft kaf and
a xet, the place name כרם שלום KEREM $ALOM ("the vineyard of
peace", at a Gaza crossing) become in their articulated mouth
בחרם שלום B-XEREM $ALOM, ("in the boycott of peace").

Isaac Fried, Boston University