[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:17 from Naḥal Ḥever: several issues

Dewayne Dulaney dewayne.dulaney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 16:42:02 EDT 2013

Thanks for the pdf. I look forward to reading it. Textual criticism has
always been an interest of mine, especially when it impacts the meaning of
the text.

Has anyone who has published on this topic done a transcript of the Hebrew
into PaleoHebrew lettering to see what the variants look like?

Dewayne Dulaney

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM, K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry I took so long to reply.
>
> Senior moments (I just forgot).
>
> The image on this page can be blown up quite a bit, and on that basis I
> disagree with the reading given in the text of the .pdf document.
>
> This scrap doesn’t have spaces between words, as a result one is misread.
> The final word that can be read is ידי followed by something that is not
> very clear, but can be read as ורג in the right place to have “my feet”. It
> looks as if the top stroke of the waw after the ידי has been smeared into
> the following Resh which is only partially preserved. The Gimel following
> the Resh is clear.
>
> Yes, the editor tried to make the reading more clear, but by blowing the
> picture up quite a bit, one can distinguish between the editing and the
> original.
>
> Oh yes, I also have the image you referenced in a later post, but this is
> the file I refer to whenever there’s a question because it’s the clearest
> picture I’ve been able to find so far.
>
> Yours, Karl W. Randolph.
>
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Stewart Felker <stewart.felker at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Here is the highest quality image of the fragment I could find:
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/wmds5kw.jpg
>>
>> Directly preceding the word I've circled in orange is the infamous כארי
>> or כארו. The DJD edition actually opts for the latter here, due to the
>> elongation of the final letter (although it's been pointed out that this
>> isn't ironclad). Whatever the case may be for this letter though, less
>> attention has been paid to the final letter of the circled word. In MT this
>> is simply ידי - but here the editors tentatively restore ידיה.
>>
>> Regardless of however we might interpret that reading, upon closer
>> inspection there are several difficulties with the final letter. There seem
>> to be _two_ strokes comprising the left hand side of this letter - one
>> curved somewhat inward, and one seemingly curved the opposite direction
>> (which itself appears to have another slight stroke coming off the bottom
>> of it, though this may just be a smudge). Further, there is a dot above and
>> slightly to the left of this letter; and although it's obvious that there
>> are several accidental ink artifacts in the fragment, this dot looks
>> conspicuous to me.
>>
>> Finally, is the larger mark a full space after this dot simply one of
>> these accidental artifacts? It somewhat resembles ג to me, although the
>> next word should be ורגלי (but the next clearest word that can be discerned
>> is עצמ]ותי], in the line below).
>>

>> Stewart Felker,
>> University of MemphisS

"In the world you will have trouble. But, be brave! I have defeated the
world!"
—John 16:33, DDV (Dewayne Dulaney Version)

My Bible blogs: http://my.opera.com/Loquor/blog/ and
http://hasopher.preachersfiles.com/

My Biblical Languages and Latin Learning Aids Blog, and home of my
translation of John's Gospel:
 Let Ancient Voices Speak, http://letancientvoicesspeak.preachersfiles.com.