[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:17 from Naḥal Ḥever: several issues

Stewart Felker stewart.felker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 09:56:45 EDT 2013

Here is the highest quality image of the fragment I could find:

http://i.imgur.com/wmds5kw.jpg

Directly preceding the word I've circled in orange is the infamous כארי or
כארו. The DJD edition actually opts for the latter here, due to the
elongation of the final letter (although it's been pointed out that this
isn't ironclad). Whatever the case may be for this letter though, less
attention has been paid to the final letter of the circled word. In MT this
is simply ידי - but here the editors tentatively restore ידיה.

Regardless of however we might interpret that reading, upon closer
inspection there are several difficulties with the final letter. There seem
to be _two_ strokes comprising the left hand side of this letter - one
curved somewhat inward, and one seemingly curved the opposite direction
(which itself appears to have another slight stroke coming off the bottom
of it, though this may just be a smudge). Further, there is a dot above and
slightly to the left of this letter; and although it's obvious that there
are several accidental ink artifacts in the fragment, this dot looks
conspicuous to me.

Finally, is the larger mark a full space after this dot simply one of these
accidental artifacts? It somewhat resembles ג to me, although the next word
should be ורגלי (but the next clearest word that can be discerned is
עצמ]ותי], in the line below).

Stewart Felker,
University of Memphis