[b-hebrew] qamatz and patax

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Aug 10 21:22:01 EDT 2013

The "modern" Hebrew, or the Eretz Israel, crisp, minimal, Torah
reading system is based on a careful calibration of both the
Ashkenazi and the Sephardi traditions, both of which certainly carry
in them very old reading traditions.
The point is that in this reading system the qamatz, the patax and
the xatapim are pronounced exactly the same way, and this, with no
apparent injury to the context.
The common present-day reader of the HB (including yours sincerely)
upon seeing the punctuated line below, would not know if it is truly

עֹלַת שַׁבַּת בְּשַׁבַּתּוֹ עַל-עֹלַת
הַתָּמִיד וְנִסְכָּהּ
or
עֹלַת שַׁבַּת בְּשַׁבַּתּוֹ עַל-עֹלַת
הַתַּמִיד וְנִסְכַּהּ
or
עֹלָת שָׁבָּת בְּשָׁבָּתוֹ עָל-עֹלָת
הָתָמִיד וְנִסְכָּהּ

Spoken Hebrew decisively proves thereby that, notwithstanding what
the punctuators of the HB "heard", (where? In the street, in the
synagogue?) equating the reading of qamatz to the reading the patax
leaves the meaning of the biblical text immutable.

Isaac Fried, Boston University