[b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response 2)

bhebrew at shields-online.net bhebrew at shields-online.net
Wed Sep 5 10:32:07 EDT 2012

Rolf,

"And I am not aware of any writing from Assyrian or Babylonian times which indicate that the people of that time believed in a solid vault with water above. it seems that they had many cosmological ideas that paralles our modern ideas."

Take a look at Horowitz's Babylonian Cosmic Geography. It includes numerous such texts, many of which depict a "firmament" made of stone (usually blue in colour, or else transparent with something blue above it). Similar ideas are evident in ancient Egyptian depictions of the cosmos. If anything, the evidence seems to point to the solid barrier above the atmosphere as being the default understanding of the cosmos in the ancient world.

Regards,

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.