[b-hebrew] head and see

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Nov 29 23:10:40 EST 2012

Here is an example, in Hebrew רע RA is 'bad, evil, frail, flimsy,
loose, shaky';
as the Hebrew nursery rhyme says:

אוי רע לי, רע לי, רע לי, כזאת עוד לא קרה לי
"Oi, I feel so bad, I feel so bad, I feel so bad, a thing like this
never
happened to me ..."

But רע REA is 'friend', (see Ps. 88:19). So, is REA a דבר רע a
bad thing?
Certainly not, except that רעות REUT, 'friendship', is a loose and
unfettered
association among free individuals. Such a relationship exists
להבדיל among
cows freely roaming רועות בשדה while grazing in a field.

Similarly, RAYON רעיון (see Qohelet 4:16) is an idea that roams
in the mind.

So, there is no "horizontal" relationship RA <–––> REA between
'evil' and 'friend',
yet they are both "vertical" offshoots, or outgrowths (so to speak)
of the same
uni-consonantal Hebrew root R, endowing both words with the same
fundamental
meaning of 'loose'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University