[b-hebrew] 11. MICAH - Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew

R. Lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Tue Nov 13 17:18:25 EST 2012

11. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew
(11. MICAH)
Mainz November 1st – 3rd, 2013

Invitation and Call for Papers
(1st circular)

The 11th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (11. MICAH) will take place at Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany, from Friday, 1st to Sunday 3rd November 2013.

Topics of the meeting cover grammar and linguistics of Ancient and Classical Hebrew (Epigraphic and Biblical Hebrew, Qumran and related Hebrew, and Ben Sira), as well as studies of adjacent Semitic languages and epigraphy, as for instance Ugaritic, Phoenician-Punic, Old and Imperial Aramaic, Syriac, Moabite and Edomite. Topics on general epigraphy, paleography, adjacent non-Semitic (e.g. Philistine), and general linguistics in connection with these languages are also welcome.

We encourage scholars in the field to give lectures of preferably 20-30 minutes on a topic of their choice.

Depending on papers submitted, topics will be arranged into special sessions within the following areas:
Biblical Hebrew
Postbiblical Hebrew
Ugaritic
Canaanite
Phoenician-Punic
Aramaic
Transjordan
Lexicography & Semantics
Epigraphy & Palaeography
General topics of Northwest Semitic paleography, and other.

Conference languages are German, English, and French. As we wish to avoid parallel sessions, the call will be deemed closed when the optimal number of proposed papers for each are accepted. For this reason, if you are considering participation, the earlier you send your proposal the better.

Postgraduates, or PhD. doctorate students are explicitly invited to present their projects where they might benefit from collegial discussions and a friendly, non-conceited atmosphere. Any one applying in this category, please indicate your institution and supervisor.

For participation, we request a fee of 40 Euro, which is due on site. For those who present a paper, participation is free. Active students may request the suspension of fees, which might be granted depending on the availability of funds.

Please send paper proposals to the undersigned (lehmann at uni-mainz.de) or to MICAH at uni-mainz.de and indicate the topic (preliminary or working title) and the estimated length of presentation.

While no formal pre-registration form is needed, for planning purposes, it is nevertheless important that we receive soon an email declaration of intent, at the above address.

We are not organizing travel or housing arrangements, but will gladly inform you on available lodging near the University.

For all questions and concern please contact the undersigned:

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Academic Director / Ancient Hebrew and NWS Languages
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew and Epigraphy
Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz
Tel. +49-6131-39-23284 (office)
Phone and fax +49-6132-799873
Email: lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Further information will be soon available at

http://www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/204.php

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, Ak.Dir. (University of Mainz)
In co-operation with:
Dr. Anna Elise Zernecke (University of Mainz)
Dr. Johannes F. Diehl (University of Frankfurt)

We look forward to seeing you in Mainz next year.