[b-hebrew] Takliyth

George Athas George.Athas at moore.edu.au
Mon Nov 5 15:54:38 EST 2012

I don't think Augustine is reading anything into תכלית. He's not reading Hebrew at all. He's reading Latin 'perfectum'. So to a large extent, your approach is asking the wrong question. If you want to know what Augustine thought, just look at Latin 'perfectum'. If you want to know whether Augustine's view incidentally overlaps at all with the Hebrew, you need to compare the semantic ranges of תכלית and 'perfectum'.

Cheers!

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,

On 06/11/2012, at 5:58 AM, "Mike Burke" <michaelgburk at yahoo.com<mailto:michaelgburk at yahoo.com>> wrote:

> [...]

I didn't mean to imply that all occurrences of the word must contain all the possible nuances of the word, I'm merely trying to understand what those possible nuances are.

Are ideas like "mature," "healthy," and morally or ethically "perfect" possible nuances of Takliyth?

Are they possible nuances of perfectum, but not of Takliyth?

Would it have been wrong for Augustine to read such a meaning into Takliyth?

These are the questions I'm interested in.

I know it occurs only five times in the Old Testament, but I would assume it occurs more often than that in the entire Hebrew corpus (i.e. Midrash, Mishna, Apocrypha, Talmud, Dead Sea Scrolls, etc.), wouldn't it?