[b-hebrew] When did )NK in Amos 7:7f become interpreted as "plumb line"?

Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg waldeinburg at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 03:16:45 EDT 2012

Hi Karl,

I skipped a lot of aspects of the discussion that led to the initial question, so my point was probably not clear:
The tin/lead discussion is not only concerning the material of אֲנךְ, but also wether it is a tool at all. So my point is: I find it less plausible that a plumb line would be named after tin, because I think lead would be cheaper and intuitively better for the job (see below). So if annaku is "tin" it weakens the possibility that אֲנךְ is a plumb line. And even if it is true, we do not seem to have evidence that אֲנךְ was interpreted as "plumb line" before the 10th century.

Admittedly, I'm not a craftsman, but I don't think the density of lead is something that is only relevant for "modern usage". You don't need a physics concepts as "density" to know that "lead is heavy" (in Danish we have a common expression, "blytung", i.e. "heavy as lead"). And I believe it is quite intuitive that heavier equals more stable (depending on the situation, of course). The job of the weight is not only to hold the line straight but also as  unwavering and unaffected by the wind (in short, vertical) as possible.

Regards,
Daniel