[b-hebrew] asherah (purim???)

Uzi Silber uzisilber at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:18:39 EDT 2012

Jim:

1) I refer to Asher not as 'that', but as the proper name.

2) There's nothing bizarre about my assertion -- no need for an exclamation
mark. If Ba'al was widely used in Eretz Yisrael, then it wouldn't be
surprising if a name such as Asher, a masculinized form of Ashera, Baal's
consort, might be too.  I don't share your your assumptions about Asher's
birthplace.

3) I know Moshe is Egyptian. Osnat is too, though she wasnt a Hebrew, just
married to one.

4) You think Terah Haran and Nahor are indigenous to Canaan? I agree they
werent from southern Mesopotamia (a later gloss), but more likely from NE
Syria, around, well, the Haran area.

Uzi Silber