[b-hebrew] Biblical Names Ending in -YH

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 17:32:10 EST 2012

Jim:

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM, <jimstinehart at aol.com> wrote:

>  Karl:
>  **** **
>  Thank you for your comments, but except for your very brief mention of
> Uriah, they do not directly address my twin contentions that (i) the first
> book in the Bible that has as the personal name of an individual character
> a west Semitic name ending in -YH that honors YHWH is II Samuel,

Wrong. Go back to my response and see all the names that came before David.

> 1.  You wrote:  “First of all, names ending in -YH and -YHW are alternate
> spellings for the same name. So you have to include MYKYHW Judges 17:1, 4
> and CRWYH 1 Samuel 26:6.”
>  ** **
>  Some scholars say that -YHW is the southern way, attributable to old
> Judah, whereas -YH is the northern way, which was not adopted by the
> Hebrews until later [King David’s time and thereafter].

Balderdash. Example, look at 2 Kings 1 and see that )LYH and )LYHW both
used to refer to the same individual, the same with )XZYH and )XZYHW.

>> **
>  6.  You wrote:  “Go to 1 Chronicles, the first ten chapters are deadly
> to read—all they are are genealogies. So we find before David )YH 1:40,
> (ZRYH 2:8, CRWYH 2:16.”
>  ** **
>  Yes, there are dozens of names in Chronicles that end with -YH, many of
> which [though not all of which] are west Semitic names that honor YHWH.  But
> Chronicles comes long after II Samuel in the Bible, even though Chronicles
> in part covers time periods before King David.

Because it records events that occurred before King David, it falsifies
your thesis. But I also mentioned CRWYH David’s uncle, mentioned in 1
Samuel and 1 Chronicles. Even by your reckoning, 1 Samuel comes before 2
Samuel.

>   ** **
>  7.  Karl, although you make many interesting comments, most of them
> [other than your brief mention of Uriah] do not go directly to either of my
> twin contentions, which are that (i) the first book in the Bible that has
> as the personal name of an individual character a west Semitic name ending
> in -YH that honors YHWH is II Samuel, and that (ii) King David should
> rightly get the credit for being the first person in the Bible to give to
> one or more of his sons a west Semitic name ending in -YH that honors YHWH.

You didn’t read what I wrote, did you?

>  ** **
>  Jim Stinehart
>  Evanston, Illinois