[b-hebrew] song 1:7

Pere Porta pporta7 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 01:06:33 EST 2012

Nir,

No, I did not find in the Tanakh any nouns ending in -H (not in -NH) in the
singular, that include -N- in their plural.
Now, this ending -NYWT is common in today Hebrew:
$MNYWT, (females) nominal, from $M, noun. But this is, of course, through
the ending -NY of the adjectival form: $EMANY, (male) nominal, relating to
name. Not to be mistaken for $AMNY, oily (said of a male).
In a general way, singular feminines that have -N- in them give plurals in
-WT (not in -YWT):
CARWT, misfortunes (Jb 5:19), from CARAH (1S 26:24)
MANWT, pieces (1S 1:4), from MANAH (1S 1:5).
PINWT, corners, sides (Jb 1:18), from PINAH (2K 14:13)

Karl,

The form M$NYWT, studies, (Nir provides) is not found in the Bible.
Friendly,

Pere Porta

2012/12/15 K Randolph <kwrandolph at gmail.com>

> Nir:
>
>  On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. <
> nir at ccet.ufrn.br> wrote:
>
>> karl,

>> is a
>> participle, feminine singular, acting as an adjective).

>> look for a noun in this place, I call it a noun.

>> ... and on what basis do you call it a noun?
>>

> What’s above refers to Isaiah 22:2. What’s below refers to Song of Songs
> 1:7
>

>> neither pere nor i see it as a
>> noun, especially if you examine the way it is inserted in the phrase, i.e.
>> followed by (L. we see it as describing an action, a participle. we also
>> gave
>> two etymologies which favor interpretation as a participle: to veil and to
>> flock upon.
>>

> Song of Songs 1:7 is still a question with me, and I have not expressed a
> determination on it. And I have expressed the possibility that this use
> could be a participle.

>> ending
>> in a -H has the plural form ending in -NYWT? Where are they found in
>> Tanakh?
>>
>> it is the normal way for a feminine noun ending in a -YH to become -YWT.
>> and
>> if the last letter in N, so -NYH becomes -NYWT.
>>

> That was not my question. Are there other examples where a N was not the
> final letter before the H, but inserted to make a -NYWT ending?
>

>> but sometimes also -H without a Y becomes -YWT. thus, M$NH becomes
>> M$NYWT. i
>> am sure pere can find more BH examples.
>>

> Where is this one found? I’m away from my main computer, and the Bible on
> my iPod Touch says this form is not found.
>

>> nir cohen
>>
>> Karl W. Randolph.

Pere Porta