[b-hebrew] a much bigger and relevant issue not exactly about Caleb

David Kolinsky yishalom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 18 01:20:46 EDT 2011

Karl,

Since Sarai, Sarah, and Yisrael are all based on the root SRH lets look at that only for now.

SRH to fix upon:
in wrestling there are takedowns, controls (holds), and reversals -
in Hebrew "the hold" is described by the verb SRH to wrestle  (Gn32:29), (Hs12:4);
the reversals and takedowns by ?BQ (entangle with eachother) to wrestle (Gn32:25,26)

ShWR means (hold firmly in one's sights)  to get a fix on (see)
(Nm23:9,24:17)(Hs14:9)(Jb,7:8,17:15,20:9,24:15,33:14,34:29,35:13)(SoS4:8)
to behold (Jb36:24) in Polael

S?R in Arabic = set out, move along, march, get going, be headed for s.th, be directed / oriented, be guided by; route

ShRR = to direct (Jb37:3)

?ShR = to go intentionally / directly (Pr9:16);  (Pr4:14) ;
to direct, lead (Is3:12;9:15)(Pr23:19)
to be directed / led (Is9:15)

ShRyR(hold firm) muscle (Jb40:16)

YShR = straight

The sense of all of these words is "to hold firm"
in some cases physically: to wrestle, muscle
in others visually.  When you hold something firmly visually, we call that FOCUSING.

When we follow our focus, we go directly, intently, and straight toward something.

Tell me something, did I fabricate anything here?  Perhaps, you can still disagree with my conclusions as to what the names mean, but SRH, ShWR, SRR, ShRR, ?ShR, YShR, mean these things.

Sincerely

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA