[b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 8:18 “khmym”

Hedrick Gary GaryH at cjfm.org
Thu Sep 15 16:02:44 EDT 2011

Karl, I think you mean "khnym."

In any case, here's a pertinent note from A.A. Anderson in the Word Biblical Commentary:

The statement that David’s sons were priests is often altered or toned down in the versions (cf. G, Syr., Tg.). Already 1 Chr 18:17 calls them “chief officials” (הראשנים) next to the king or, perhaps, “… the elder sons of David … were next to the king” (cf. McCarter, 254). The reason for these and other changes may have been the wish to avoid the implication that there could have been legitimate non-levitical priests. No indication is given as to whether or not the priestly function of David’s sons was different from that of Zadok and Ahimelek (or Abiathar). In any case, this office of the sons of David was, apparently, a temporary arrangement (cf. 20:26; 1 Kgs 4:1–6).

Hope this helps.

Gary Hedrick
San Antonio, Texas USA