[b-hebrew] What is the scholarly consensus about Isaiah 52:14?

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 08:41:39 EDT 2011

University scholars have debated the meaning of Isaiah 52:14 for many years, but if you look through all of their books and journals, you will never see the correct translation.

Usually, Isaiah 52:14 is translated as "like multitudes were shocked about you (Israel?), so is marred (hophal) from a man his form and from sons of man his image, thus he will sprinkle (he will startle) many nations."

I think it could say "like multitudes were shocked about you (Israel?), so is a destroyer (one caused to destroy) (hiphil or hophal), from a man his form and from sons of man his image, thus he will sprinkle (he will cause to sprinkle) many nations."

Isaiah 63 says that G-d will be shocked that there is no man to help, and in the form of a man, He will trample the nations and sprinkle their blood on His clothing.

Most scholars say "marred" in Isaiah 52:14 is the hophal, and my translation is technically the hophal form of the verb, so this is an example of how university scholars have overlooked a possible translation that fits the rest of Isaiah with pinpoint accuracy. Jeremiah 22:7 might also be the hiphil (without the yud) or hophal form of the verb "destroyers" or "ones caused to destroy."

The scholarly consensus is that the verb is hophal, and since my translation uses the hophal, my idea must be the scholarly consensus too.

Kenneth Greifer

(I hope you all like my new attempt to imitate a style that gets answers).