[b-hebrew] Isaiah 52:14

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 4 13:51:36 EDT 2011

I have an idea for an alternative translation of Isaiah 52:14 that I don’t think I have ever sent to b-hebrew. It could fit Judaism or Christianity’s beliefs, so I don’t think it is religiously controversial.

Usually, it is translated as "like multitudes were shocked about you (Israel?), so is marred from a man his form and from sons of man his image, thus he will sprinkle (he will startle) many nations."

I think it could say "like multitudes were shocked about you (Israel?), so is a destroyer (or one caused to destroy) (hiphil or hophal), from a man his form and from sons of man his image, thus he will sprinkle many nations."

Isaiah 63 says that G-d will be shocked that there is no man to help, and in the form of a man, He will trample the nations and sprinkle their blood on His clothing.

I think the hiphil or hophal form of the verb is in Jeremiah 22:7 that says G-d will send destroyers (hiphil without the yud) or ones caused to destroy (hophal).

Kenneth Greifer