[b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Apr 29 01:04:11 EDT 2011

Uri is right even further. It is true, as in his examples, that the
present-day casual Hebrew speaker (but not IF reading in public) tend
to insert an E after an initial L M N R. He will thus say LEVANIYM
לבנים 'white', (also a euphemism for underwear), even though the
L here is radical. But what will he do with the LVANIM, 'to sons, for
boys', of Isaiah 38:19? Here he leaves the dagesh in the B, and
proceeds to utter it as LE-BANIYM, with a hard B as for the singular
BEN.

In the same way, the present-day Hebrew speaker will say LE-KARMIY,
'to my vineyard', with a hard K, as in the stand-alone KARMIY.

Isaac Fried, Boston University