[b-hebrew] Someone knows?

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Apr 18 06:37:24 EDT 2011

Yes! In Rt 1:7 IMAH has a dagesh in the M instead of a yod. In Rt
1:18 ITAH has a dagesh in the T instead of a yod. In 1Sm 1:13 LIBH
has a dagesh in the B instead of a yod.
I find the spelling אימא with a yod not only offensive, but also
an insult to the human intelligence.
The occasional "debates" within the Israeli society about reforming
the Hebrew script are exercises in futility; orthodoxy will never
allow it.
There is this interesting instance of the spelling of HERAYON,
'pregnency', that the Hebrew "Academy" "mandates" should be written
HYRAYON with a yod, an "edict" routinely spurned by the public.

Isaac Fried, Boston University