[b-hebrew] Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110:1

Kevin Riley klriley at alphalink.com.au
Wed Jun 23 08:46:52 EDT 2010

Dave

While I share some of your assumptions, I don't share all, so you are
not under any compulsion to accept my answer.  I don't believe anyone
has the right to *dogmatically* inform any of us how to render God's
name, unless that person should be a divinely attested prophet given
that specific responsibility by God.  I do believe that anyone with a
good knowledge of Hebrew has the right to *suggest* how to render that
name from a linguistic basis, and to advance the reasons for doing so.
Scripture believing Christians,  as well as the rest of us
garden-variety Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and believers in
anything or nothing, all have the right to make up our own minds on the
subject as we are or are not convinced by the arguments put forward.

I must say, I admire the way you are able, by implication, to
potentially offend most of the non-Christians and many of the Christians
on this list.  Not many posters manage to achieve that.  Perhaps an
off-list post to James may have been wiser.

Kevin Riley