[b-hebrew] The most difficult

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 25 23:15:21 EDT 2010

Pere,
Though I have not studied Job much in Hebrew, I think it is the most
difficult book to translate.
The reason I think this is because, when I do word studies, I find that Job
most often uses words to have very different meanings than the same word in
other books. I do not have this problem with any other book nearly as much
as Job. Never Ezekiel, but sometimes Lamentations.

Also, though, I don't have data, I seem to encounter more hapaxes in Job
than any other book.

As an example, Job 40:15ff:
V15 - behemoth
V16 navel
V17 פַחֲדָו   יַחְפֹּץ
V18 bars

Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
TV article about my Dad for teaching math for 75 years and still teaching.
http://www.wbaltv.com/education/23857145/detail.html