[b-hebrew] "Yahweh" occurs 6823 times in the Roman Catholic New Jerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying Hebrew.

James Christian jc.bhebrew at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 25 10:44:17 EDT 2010

Dave,

as someone who is aware of the issues surrounding the name of God and
someone who can sympathise with your agenda I really don't think your method
of critiquing the reconstruction Yahweh is doing your cause any favours. The
only thing you seem to be achieving on this list is coming across as pushing
a sectarian agenda and alienating your would be audience. May I suggest you
adopt a less dramatic tact and be more honest and open about your position?
If you advance your study of Hebrew you may then be in a position to enter
into discussions of reconstructing Yhwh. There have been many such on this
list and your continual claim that reconstructing Yhwh has been neglected on
this list only goes to show your lack of familiarity with the history of
discussions on the list. This just alienates your audience even further. I
hope you can accept this constructive criticism light heartedly.

Why don't you just drop the Yhwh thing for now until you are in a position
to enter into a proper linguistic discussion about it and get involved in
other discussions. It could help you progress in Hebrew studies.

James Christian