[b-hebrew] 10. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH)

R. Lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Fri Jul 2 07:20:47 EDT 2010

10. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew
(MICAH)
Mainz, November, 28th – 30th, 2011

Invitation and Call for Papers (1st circular)

The 10th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (10. MICAH)
will take place at Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz (Germany),
from Friday, 28th to Sunday 30th November, 2011.

You are invited to give a lecture, either a short paper (20 min plus
5 discussion) or a full lecture (45 min plus 10 discussion), as you
please.

Topics cover the grammar and linguistics of Ancient and Classical
Hebrew (Epigraphic and Biblical Hebrew, Qumran and related Hebrew,
and Ben Sira), as well as studies of adjacent languages and
epigraphy, for instance Ugaritic, Phoenician-Punic, Old and Imperial
Aramaic, Moabite and Edomite. Also welcome are topics on general
epigraphy, paleography, and general linguistics in connection with
these languages.

Depending on submitted papers, topics will be arranged into special
sessions, within the following areas:

Biblical Hebrew
Postbiblical Hebrew
Ugaritic
Canaanite
Phoenician-Punic
Aramaic
Transjordan
Lexicography & Semantics
Epigraphy & Palaeography
General topics of Northwest Semitic paleography.

Conference languages are German, English, and French. As we wish to
avoid parallel sessions, sessions will be deemed closed when the
optimal number of proposed papers for each are accepted. For this
reason, if you are considering participation, the earlier you send
your proposal the better.

Postgraduates, or PhD. doctorate students are explicitly invited to
present their projects where they might benefit from collegial
discussions. Any one applying in this category, please indicate
clearly your institution and supervisor.

For participation, we request a fee of 40 Euro, which is due on site.
For those who present a paper, participation is free. Active students
can request the suspension of fees and it might be granted depending
on the availability of funds.

Please send paper proposals to the undersigned (lehmann at uni-mainz.de)
or to MICAH at uni-mainz.de and indicate the topic (preliminary or
working title) and the preferred length of presentation.

While no formal pre-registration form is needed, for planning
purposes, it is nevertheless important that we receive soon an email
declaration of intent, at the above address.

We are not organizing travel or housing arrangements, but will gladly
inform you on available lodging near the University.

For all questions and concern please contact:

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Academic Director / Ancient Hebrew and NWS Languages
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew and Epigraphy
Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz
Tel. +49-6131-39-23284 (office)
Phone and fax +49-6132-799873
Email: lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Further information will also be available soon at
http://www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/144.php

In co-operation with:
Dr. Anna Zernecke (University of Mainz)
Dr. Johannes F. Diehl (University of Frankfurt)

We look forward to hosting you in Mainz next year.