[b-hebrew] Wasn't Codex L. pointed according to a preserved Jewish Oral Tradition?

David P Donnelly davedonnelly1 at juno.com
Tue Dec 28 08:30:13 EST 2010

The title of this topic is:
Wasn't Codex L. pointed according to a preserved Jewish Oral Tradition?

I thought this subject was discussed a while back on B-hebrew,
and that it was sort of decided that when the first Masoretic texts were
created,
there was a PRESERVED JEWISH ORAL TRADITION
that clearly indicated how every single word of THE "UNPOINTED HEBREW
TEXT"  was pronounced,
and that the Masoretes used that PRESERVED JEWISH ORAL TRADITION
to point the various Masoretic Texts that now exist.

Am I correct in this belief?

Dave Donnelly

P.S. It was also my understanding, that  the PRESERVED JEWISH ORAL
TRADITION
was most definitely used to determine how the Jewish reader was to read
the six variants of YHWH
that occur in Codex L.

It is my opinion all the Jewish reader has to do to know how to render
YHWH in Codex L.,  is to observe the vowel point under the "Waw". If the
"Waw" in YHWH has a qamets under it, just render that variant of YHWH as
"Adonai" and if the "Waw" in YHWH has a hireq under it, just render that
variant of  YHWH as "Elohim". This method seems to work 100% of the time.

Please correct me if I am wrong.